[DRBD-user] can not open /dev/drbd0: No such device or addres s

paddy paddy at panici.net
Thu Oct 26 01:37:48 CEST 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 03:16:38PM -0600, Spangler, Tim wrote:

> Thanks for the responses so far.  Here are the results I get from the
> commands specified.  I really wish I had a better idea how this was all
> supposed to work...
>
> >ls -l /dev/drbd0 ?
> brw-r--r--  1 root root 147, 0 Oct 24 13:53 /dev/drbd0

you have the device node.  this is good.

> >cat /proc/drbd ?
> cat: /proc/drbd: No such file or directory

symptom of the following

> >lsmod | grep drbd ?
> Nothing.

there is no drbd kernel module loaded.  unless you have it compiled into
your kernel (which from the missing /proc/drbd I doubt), then this is your
problem (although this is just off the top of my head, and you may need to
do something with drbdadm before you get the proc entry ??? nah!)

Ordinarily you might have something in your bootstrap to bring up drbd, like
say an /etc/init.d/drbd file (in the sysv style, locations may vary from
distro to distro, E&OE, YMMV, etc... ;-) or perhaps in heartbeat.

but just to get you going I suggest you try

modprobe drbd

There is a a drbd faq you could google for, which covers this kind of
howto stuff, although I don't recall it going as far as explaining
the basic OS knowledge.

Good Luck!

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall