[DRBD-user] drbd and gfs

Diego Julian Remolina diego.remolina at ibb.gatech.edu
Wed Oct 25 13:50:00 CEST 2006

Alexander Lind wrote:
> My portuguese is a little rusty (there does not seem to be an english
> version), but I see that he uses drbd 0.8. That is the the caveat I
> suppose, that it can be done with drbd 0.8.x, not 0.7.x, correct?

That is correct, 0.7.x does *not* support active/active

> Do you have any idea of when a production-ready version of 0.8.x could
> be expected?

The answer you will get for this one is:  When is ready!

> As far as the apps go, I was going to use the shared partitions for
> network shares (file storage and propagation etc), and also Courier
> Imapd. I don't forsee any problems with the files, and as far I have
> understood, Courier Imapd with its maildirs (instead of spools) should
> not have any problems either. Please correct me if you think I'm wrong :)

I think this should be ok, I do not use courier, but I assume that if you have postfix or sendmail
as your MTA which runs independently on each machine and that delivers to courier on a separate
socket file (or at least that is how cyrus imap works) on each machine then courier should be able
to deliver mail to your shared active/active storage (maildir mailboxes).

I currently run in production sedmail+mimedefang+clamav+spamassain+cyrus-imap using drbd-0.7.21 on
RHEL4 and that has worked perfectly for over a year (off course drbd has been updated over time). My
web server uses drbd-0.7.21 and has a horde/imp installation for web mail. I could share my install
notes on request (e-mail me off-list), but I have to warn you that they are not totally complete. I
plan to turn them into a good howto when I upgrade my servers to RHEL5.

Diego