[DRBD-user] ACTIVE-ACTIVE

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Sun Oct 15 18:18:04 CEST 2006

/ 2006-10-14 13:49:10 +0200
\ Sim:
> Hi!
>
> Someone has tried DRDB ACTIVE-ACTIVE, for example for Mail Cluster?

what do you have in mind?

two drbd devices, of which one is mounted left,
the other is mounted right?

	that would work just fine.

one drbd devic using ocfs2 or similar, mounted on both?

	I don't think a typical mta would be happy to share one spool
	directory in two instances running on one host, much less so
	running multiple instances on multiple hosts, sharing one spool
	directory on a cluster file system...
	so that won't make any sense.

	it could make more sense for imap/pop serving mail folders from
	a cluster file system, but my gut feeling is that the additional
	latency introduced by a cluster file system would cancel the
	benefit of serving simultaneously from two nodes.

there are many ways to do "load balancing" within a two-node
drbd/heartbeat cluster, but finding those that actually improve
performance is sometimes tricky :)