[DRBD-user] drbd freeze its filesystem

Enrico Morelli enrico.morelli at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 15:15:36 CEST 2006

On 10/12/06, Lars Ellenberg <Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:
> / 2006-10-12 09:26:24 +0200
> \ Enrico Morelli:

> > >0.7.22.. this must be svn right? 0.7.22 isn't out yet correct? Or do I
> > >have overly aggressive squid caching going on :)?
> > >
> > Yes. But I started using the version  0.7.18  with the same results.
> > At the end I tried the 0.7.22 to solve my problems.
>
> then, maybe, just this time, it is not drbd that is the problem?
>
> what exactly are the symptoms of the "freeze"?
On a terminal I start to copy a lot of files on the drbd partition.
On another terminal I execute 'ls' more times . During the copy,
one 'ls' command doesn't display any output for some seconds. I'm
unable to stop 'ls' with CRTL+C. In the copy terminal the copy is in
freeze state, after a while the copy continue  and the 'ls' display
the output.

> could there be hardware problems?
I have 2 couple of new HP DL 380, in each couple I have the same problem.

> which file system?
> if reiserfs, please try something else.
> we had a report about "aparent freezes" with reiserfs on top of drbd,
> but the "freeze" (it recovers after minutes to hours "all by itself")
> was in reiserfs, not in drbd. we just change the timing behaviour of the
> io stack...

ArghHHhh!!! Yes, I have the reiserfs on top of drbd and the machines
are servers in production. So i cannot change the filesystem. The is
some workaround to avoid this problem?
I didn't find warning about the problem reiserfs/drbd, maybe should be
useful to write about this on the site or on the wiki.

Thanks
Enrico