[DRBD-user] Difference Between wtc-timeout and degr-wtc-timeout

Robinson, Eric eric.robinson at pmcipa.com
Tue Oct 3 01:25:04 CEST 2006

Lars said...

<snip>
---------------------------------------
I'll quote the code, to clarify the intention for when
"degr-wfc-timeout" is used:
 /* If I am currently not Primary,
  * but meta data primary indicator is set,
  * I just now recover from a hard crash,
  * and have been Primary before that crash.
  *
  * Now, if I had no connection before that crash
  * (have been degraded Primary), chances are that
  * I won't find my peer now either.
  *
  * In that case, and _only_ in that case,
  * we use the degr-wfc-timeout instead of the default,
  * so we can automatically recover from a crash of a
  * degraded but active "cluster" after a certain timeout.
  */
---------------------------------------
</snip>

Hmmm... why not always start both nodes as Secondary with no timeout,
then let heartbeat force the right one to be Primary? Wouldn't that
avoid blocking and split-brain?

Is it possible to set up something like this...

	Cluster fine, connected.
	Pull plug from primary machine A.
	Heartbeat on B takes over, forces drbd on B to be primary.
	Plug machine A back in.
	Heartbeat on A detects it is secondary, forces drbd on A to go
secondary.

If this is a stupid question, forgive me. I am shameless about showing
my ignorance. :-)

--
Eric Robinson

Disclaimer - October 2, 2006
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for drbd-user at linbit.com. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physician Select Management (PSM) or Physician's Managed Care (PMC). Warning: Although the message sender has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, neither PSM nor PMC can accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.