[DRBD-user] drbd 8.0pre5 Lower device is already mounted

Ralf Schenk rs at databay.de
Mon Oct 2 13:58:10 CEST 2006

Hello !

I try to use drbd 8.0pre5 (fetched from SVN) on a ubuntu machine with
kernel 2.6.16.29. I want to use drbd on LVM2 Volumes. My Data Volume is
/dev/xeon2/vm01, I have a separate volume for metadata dev/xeon2/drbd,
big enough for multiple drbd devices. The drbd devices will host XEN
Domains.

I cant set it up because drbdadm always states that the device is
already mounted. I know that the kernel may claim the device or anything
else but I didn't find anything and I deactivated the volumes with evmsn
management tool but it stays the same. The two machines are connected vi
a private gigabit link for drbd.

Thats what I do:
root at xeon2:~/DOWNLOAD# modprobe drbd
root at xeon2:~/DOWNLOAD# drbdadm -v up all
drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/xeon2/vm01 /dev/xeon2/drbd 0
--set-defaults --create-device --on-io-error=detach
Failure: (114) Lower device is already mounted.
drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 syncer --set-defaults --create-device --rate=50M
drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 net 10.10.10.2:7789 10.10.10.3:7789 C
--set-defaults --create-device --cram-hmac-alg=sha1 --shared-secret=XXXXX

The relevent part from /etc/drbd.conf:
resource "xeon2_vm01" {
  protocol C;
  startup {
    wfc-timeout         0;  ## Infinite!
    degr-wfc-timeout  120;  ## 2 minutes.
  }
  disk {
    on-io-error detach;
  }
  net {
    cram-hmac-alg sha1;
    shared-secret "XXXXXX";
    # timeout           60;
    # connect-int       10;
    # ping-int          10;
    # max-buffers     2048;
    # max-epoch-size  2048;
  }
  syncer {
    rate 50M;
  }

  on xeon2 {
    device      /dev/drbd0;
    disk        /dev/xeon2/vm01;
    address     10.10.10.2:7789;
    meta-disk   /dev/xeon2/drbd [0];
  }

  on xeon3 {
    device     /dev/drbd1;
    disk       /dev/xeon3/vm02;
    address    10.10.10.3:7789;
    meta-disk  /dev/xeon3/drbd [1];
  }
}

root at xeon2:~/DOWNLOAD# cat /proc/drbd
version: 8.0pre5 (api:84/proto:83)
SVN Revision: 2482 build by root at ubuntu_devel, 2006-10-02 13:29:10
 0: cs:WFConnection st:Secondary/Unknown ds:Diskless/DUnknown r---
    ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0

I saw you added tracing options. I compiled everyhing myself. What can I
do to help debugging this ?

Ralf Schenk
fon (02 41) 9 91 21-0
fax (02 41) 9 91 21-59
rs at databay.de

Databay AG
Hüttenstraße 7
D-52068 Aachen
www.databay.de

Sitz/Amtsgericht Aachen
HRB:8437
USt-IdNr.: DE 210844202

Databay - einfach machen.

Diese E-Mail und etwa angehängte Dateien enthalten vertrauliche
Informationen und sind ausschließlich für den Adressaten bestimmt.
Sollten Sie irrtümlich diese E-Mail erhalten haben, bitten wir Sie,
uns darüber unter info at databay.de zu informieren und die E-Mail
aus Ihrem System zu löschen.

info at databay.de. If you are not the named recipient, you should return
this message and delete it from your system.