[DRBD-user] hey, it worked - My reply off drbd topic

Diego Julian Remolina diego.remolina at ibb.gatech.edu
Wed May 24 14:38:52 CEST 2006

FYI,

The Tyan 1U barebones servers are quite nice. I have put together several of these and like them a
lot. You can fit 4 SATA hard drives (hot swappable). The temperature on the drives is usually around
31 Celsius in a properly cooled server room.

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/gx28b2881.html

If you are in the US, you can get it for about $900.00 from a reputable vendor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856152009
As usual, try froogle.google.com or pricewatch.com or your favorite price engine first to get the
best price.

I have some of those chassis with ARECA ARC-1110 (including battery) cards doing DRBD. Pretty cool
systems which I put together for ~$2850 each with Dual core Opterons 270s, 4 GB RAM and 4 SATA II
250GB drives.

If you need more space then use the 3U supermicro cases (the ones in black are pretty):

http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/3U/932/SC932T-R760.cfm

I also have two of these servers running drbd with 15 SATA150 250GB drives. DRBD works perfectly as
well.

Diego

PS. Recipee for a 10.5 TB file server for under $11,000 (Get 2 and DRBD!)
Drives           $7,500 (15 Seagate 750GB SATA drives)
Chassis          $1,000 (Supermicro SC933T-R760)
Raid Card        $1,200 (Areca ARC-1160 Including battery)
Mobo             $  400 (Tyan S2881)
CPUs             $  360 (2 Opteron 246, Add faster processors only if really needed)
RAM              $  450 (4 GB Corsair DDR400 ECC Registered Ram)
Total           $10,910