[DRBD-user] hardware failure on one peer can bring down drbd 0.7.18 on the other

Maurice Volaski mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu
Tue May 16 08:59:04 CEST 2006

I have (once again) a funky problem with one machine where the
underlying hardware RAID device appears to stop responding. The
/dev/sdax devices are directly mapped to drbd devices and the
configuration is

disk    { on-io-error detach; }

Since I'm using protocol C, it appears that drbd won't start I/O on
the primary until the secondary has completed. So a freeze on one
machine ends up freezing both of them.

But it appears that problematic computer, which is secondary, has
failed severely enough prevent this detachment but still allow drbd's
"heartbeat" through and it is actually get that heartbeat.

That is, I should be getting a ServerForDLess, but I'm not. I think
I've come across this situation before, so I don't think it's
specific to version 0.7.18.

The result of this is essentially the equivalent of a freeze on the
primary computer.

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu