[DRBD-user] Initializing shortcut

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Thu May 11 00:34:14 CEST 2006

--- Todd Denniston <Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil>
wrote:
> Lars,
> Would it make sense, in 0.8.x or 0.9.x, that when
> doing a full sync, drbd do a
> minimal look at the data it is sending and handle
> "sparse" (large sequences of
>   0's) data 'efficiently' like tar and cp do, i.e.,
> when drbd notices it is sending 100 4k blocks of
> data, instead of sending 400k
> of 0, send a "drbd_sparse 100" packet to the peer
> which then turns that into
> 0's on the media?

I think that at this point that would be complicated
enough to simply add compression instead.  lzo would
probably be a great fit for this:

http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/

but I suspect that this is beyond what the developers
want.  They would probably tell you to use openvpn.
Has anyone ever tried openvpn with drbd without
encryption enabled to see if it can speed things up
(it can use lzo)?

-Martin