[DRBD-user] Initializing shortcut

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Wed May 10 19:39:40 CEST 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 10:22:54AM -0700, Martin Fick wrote:

> If drbd has never been there, than there is nothing to
> lose right?  At least nothing more than with syncing
> right?
>
> Maybe I don't understand the scenario you are
> describing?  Is the intial single server data already
> on a single side drdb partition, or is it on another
> non drbd partition?

You don't understand the scenario. You already have a working server,
without drbd, and decide to add drbd to it:

1. a) create metadata partition
1. b) resize filesystem to give space to metadata

2. tell drbd the device is consistent.

-> new drbd device, without data loss (and without having to create new
partition, set drbd on it, migrate data to new drd device).

> > with a fast link, I typically see the drbd initial
> > full sync finish slightly faster than dd would.
>
> Now I don't understand that, how is that possible?  Is
> it because drbd is running in kernel space?

Probably because he's dd'ing sector by sector, that is, by default, 512
bytes.

I usually define a bs of 1M or more.

--
lfr