[DRBD-user] Initial sync without the do-what-I-say command?

Varun Menghani varun.menghani at airtightnetworks.net
Fri Mar 24 11:10:32 CET 2006

Hi,
Maybe I need to clarify my question a little more:
My question is whether it is possible to do an INITIAL sync without the
'do-what-i-say' command. When I have 2 NEW machines and I have to
install and CONFIGURE drbd on them, I run the 'do-what-i-say' command to
get them in sync for the FIRST TIME. After that everything works fine
with drbddisk and hearbeat doing the needful. I want to know whether
there is a more elegent method to get them in sync for the first time
rather than forcefully pushing data from one node to the other?
Regards,
Varun.

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 15:17, mike wrote:
> Yes, look at the script /etc/ha.d/resource.d/drbddisk
>
> When the primary fails, the secondary can do
> "/etc/ha.d/resource.d/drbddisk start" and it will assume primary and
> also mount it locally and resume operations.
>
> I believe that script comes with heartbeat... it came in my heartbeat
> or DRBD RPMs on CentOS 4.2.
>
> You can add "drbddisk::resourcename" to /etc/ha.d/haresources and I
> believe it will take care of issuing the start/stop commands for you
> on the other node failure.
>

> On 24 Mar 2006 15:09:41 +0530, Varun Menghani
> <varun.menghani at airtightnetworks.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have written a script to configure hearbeat and drbd for a 2 node
> > cluster. On the server from which data is to be pushed, the script
> > executes the "drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 primary --do-what-I-say" command.
> > However, it is possible that a user might configure both the servers to
> > push data on each other, in this case both the servers will try and
> > execute the do-what-i-say command, resulting in chaos.
> > My question is : Is there a way to do an initial sync without the
> > do-what-I-say command? e.g can I configure one node as primary, the
> > other as secondary and then data is syncronised from the primary to the
> > secondary node?
> > Regards,
> > Varun.
> > --
> > Varun Menghani <varun.menghani at airtightnetworks.net>
> > ----
> >
> > "THE INFORMATION IN THIS EMAIL AND ANY ATTACHMENTS IS CONFIDENTIAL AND
> > INTENDED SOLELY FOR THE USE OF THE PERSON NAMED ABOVE.  IF YOU ARE NOT
> > THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, OR HAVE OTHERWISE RECEIVED THIS EMAIL IN ERROR,
> > DO NOT READ, DISTRIBUTE, COPY OR OTHERWISE USE IT.  IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED
> > THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY THE SENDER BY
> > TELEPHONE OR EMAIL, AND DESTROY THIS MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS.  THANK
> > YOU."

Varun Menghani <varun.menghani at airtightnetworks.net>
Airtight Networks
----