[DRBD-user] scenario/migration question

J.Paechnatz jpaechnatz at bfe-systemhaus.de
Mon Mar 20 16:30:04 CET 2006

Hi there...

Following Scenario:

One Cluster/two Nodes, heartbeat up and running, 1.2 TB scsi attached on
each node, sync between the scsi/nodes with rsync+acl-patch. Running for
years very stable...but now it time for a change, due perfomance issues
of rsync.

I want to move the cluster to drbd. My idea is two establish drbd on the
inactive node, setup the device, filesystem and force it as primary and
sync the data one final time, without changing the data...for example
samba stopped.

after this step is successful completed, I want to change the former
primary node to drbd too, forcing it as secondary and wait that all data
is synced between the nodes.

as final step I want to change the heartbeat setup to work with drbd and
start over.

So my question is, is it possible to setup drbd on a single node, mkfs,
put data on it and in a last final step establish the second one???

Thanks!

cu Joh.Paechnatz