[DRBD-user] Sync

Milind Dumbare milind at linsyssoft.com
Wed Jun 28 11:33:21 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 10:36 +0200, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> / 2006-06-28 12:42:00 +0530
> \ Milind Dumbare:
> > Hi,
> > 	I just found out that we can do this by using coomand line options of
> > drbdsetup.
> > 	#drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 syncer --rate=5M --skip-sync
>
> this is a sticky option introduced only to more easily reproduce certain
> corner cases during development and debugging.  you won't get _any_ sync
> until you reset this on both nodes while they are not connected, then
> reconnect (and then you will get the outstanding sync).
>
> > Thanks
> > (Wrote answer for archive purpose)
>
> stay away from it.
> it is not for "testing".
> it will not help you during testing.
> it will cause problems and strange behaviour.
> it is for developers only, so we can more
> conveniently debug certain corner cases.
> stay away from it.

Thanks a lot for your help
> if you want to skip the _initial_ sync, you can use the "write_gc.pl"
> (testing/ subdirectory of the tarball) to initialize the generation
> counts to something identical and consistent before you use the drbd
> peers for the first time.
ok, so write_gc.pl initializes the generation counts of two partition
two identical values write? which avoids initial sync, right?

So will following command

#write_gc.pl resource-name [--del-al] counter-values

initialize both (primary and secondary) underlying device's generation
count to same value?

Thanks again for the warning.

--
...Milind