[DRBD-user] DRBD over the Internet

Mark Olliver mark at thermeoneurope.com
Wed Jun 28 10:38:57 CEST 2006

Hi,

I currently have DRBD setup with one server in a Colo in Ireland and the
other in a Colo in UK. They are running over a VPN which restricts the
throughput to around 1-2Mbs due to hardware (might swap this).

They are both set to Protocol A (although C works too).

What I would like to know is what are the best setting for sndbuf-size and
timeout's etc? the reason I ask is because usually very little data at a
time is written to these machines as they are mostly read from. So in those
cases I could get away with protocol C. However I have switched to A as
sometime I have to copy that data on the disks for tests or upgrades (about
once or twice a week). When I copy the data this could be up to 8Gb's worth.
My issue is this takes a long time to sync naturally, but I don't want it to
slow the primary server down as other people still need to read/write there
little amounts without too much effect.

When this is happening I could just detach the secondary device from the
DRBD and then reconnect it afterwards but as this does get around the
blocking but I was wondering if there is a better way.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Olliver BSc (Hons) MBCS CITP

Thermeon Europe Ltd