[DRBD-user] primary/secondary problem

Matthias Weigel matthias.weigel at maweos.de
Tue Jun 13 15:50:27 CEST 2006

Hello,

is it possible, that there is some confusion in this thread about what
primary actually means?
Here is my understanding:

Primary/Secondary:
Primary is where you USE the drbd blockdevice (e.g. mount it). Which
node becomes Primary is decided by heartbeat or "drbdadm up".

Syncsource/Synctarget:
During syncronizing, Syncsource is the place where your valid data is ON
DISK. Which node becomes Syncsource is normally decided by drbd
metadata. When synchronizing is complete, both nodes have valid
(identical) data.

Primary can be Synctarget! Then valid data is fetched over the network
from Secondary.

Please correct me somebody if this is inaccurate or wrong.

Best Regards

Matthias