[DRBD-user] primary/secondary problem

Gernot W. Schmied gernot.schmied at chello.at
Tue Jun 13 13:32:58 CEST 2006

Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> / 2006-06-13 09:22:43 +0200
> \ Gernot W. Schmied:
>> Lars Ellenberg wrote:
>>> / 2006-06-11 23:22:38 +0200
>>> \ Gernot W. Schmied:

> "didn't change a thing" ... but the complete system.
> may I ask you what you did migrate from?

Which is unrelated. I just compiled drbd 0.7.17 from sources as always
and started it with the same disk layout and config file as before. It
was 0.17.7 on both nodes before, and it still is. I am running Ubuntu
drapper now, befor it was the previous Ubuntu distribution. One change
though: I was running this on AMD64 with AMD64 kernel, due to desktop
problems I am running the i386 distribution now on AMD64.

>>> well.
>>> what do you mean by "insist"?
>>> if you tell it to become primary, what exactly does happen?
>>> how do you try to do the "drbdadm primary all"?
>>>
>> Hmm, the primary node so far always remained primary after setting it
>> once regardless of the secondary being reachable and it maintained that
>> state regardless of restarting drbd via /etc/init.d/drbd.
>> Now it always returns to secondary state when I stop/restart drbd after
>> declaring it primary with "drbdadm primary all" before mounting my file
>> systems. Maybe it is supposed to be that way but I'd like to understand
>> why. Why does it return to secondary state when I stop drbd?
>
> I'd rather ask "what does switch drbd to primary".
> the init script (at least my init script) does not.

Mine does now. Should I conclude from your question that both
constituents of a drbd cluster start in secondary mode unless altered
via init script or heartbeat?

Gernot