[DRBD-user] input/output error in drbd after deleting files

paddy paddy at panici.net
Thu Jun 8 17:50:26 CEST 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 09:16:49AM -0400, lu.guanqing at connexim.ca wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    We have run drbd between two nodes with RHEL3.3 OS since last
> November. Yesterday, we had input/output error: nobody, even not root,
> could write into the filesystem. The problem was corrected by
> shutdowning the drbd service and filesystem checking. When I did the
> fsck, there were a lot of inode errors. I remember that we deleted a lot
> of log files in the drbd filesystem two weeks ago.
>
>    My question are:
> 1. Is deleting a lot of files the cause of input/output error in the
> drbd filesystem?

hard to be certain, given the vagueness of you error message, but it
seems unlikely to me: see next answer too.

Are you sure it is not an error on the underlying hardware (disk, array
or whatever) ?  Perhaps then the kernel might then remount the
filesystem read-only ? or perhaps drbd forces the block device to
read-only with some error-conditions/config ?

I would be wary of assuming that the process you outline would fix
your problem, rather than just making it go away until the next
time you hit that bad block.

> 2. is it a regular process to do an fsck after deleting a lot of files
> in the drbd filesystem?

drbd is not a filesystem, it is a block device.

IIRC, there are circumstances under which you would want to fsck the
filesystem on top of a drbd,  but I'm not aware of anything that is
related soley to the volume of traffic.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall