[DRBD-user] DRBD with disk failure.

Brent A Nelson brent at phys.ufl.edu
Mon Jul 24 23:31:37 CEST 2006

I experienced a disk failure today when doing mkfs on one of 6 drbd
devices, which resulted in the process getting stuck in the "D" state.

dmesg shows a series of SCSI errors and then the following on the primary:

drbd3: drbd_md_sync_page_io(,390455306,WRITE) failed!
drbd3: Notified peer that my disk is broken.

The secondary went to the "ServerForDLess" state and the primary went to
"DiskLessClient".

This all seems like a normal drbd response, right? But, although I think I
can read from the device (read attempts don't report any errors, and the
secondary drbd processes seem to be busy serving data when I attempt a
read), I can't seem to write to it.  I imagine if I switch the secondary
over to primary all will be well, but the primary should be able to pass
both reads and writes to the secondary in the event of its own disk
failing, correct?

Is there something I'm doing wrong or a bug in my drbd (version 0.7.15 in
Ubuntu Dapper but running a 2.6.12 kernel)?

Thanks,

Brent Nelson
Director of Computing
Dept. of Physics