[DRBD-user] Just want to verify Posgresql works on DRDB

Tom Brown brown at esteem.com
Sun Jul 23 20:36:17 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 18 July 2006 06:23, Xn Nooby wrote:
> Hi, I just wanted to verify that there is nothing wrong with storing a
> Posgreql database on a DRDB partition.  I read some old emails about there
> being problems, but the more recent ones seem to imply it should work fine.
>

> I'm using two SUSE SLES 9 servers with Heartbeat to fail over some custom
> services and Posgres.  I am using "type C" communication on DRDB.  There
> have no modifications to Posgresql, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to force
> fsyncs. So far everything works fine, though I havent done much testing on
> indexed tables.
>
> Are there any extra precautions I should be taking?
>
> thanks!

I've been running a postgresql database on a drbd partition for about three
years without a problem. Haven't lost any data. I installed postgresql to its
default location on both nodes:
/usr/local/pgsql

Then I created the data directory on my drbd partion which I called /mirror:
/mirror/usr/local/pgsql/data

Then created a link to the data directory:

/usr/local/pgsql/data -> /mirror/usr/local/pgsql/data

I don't know how others have set it up, but this configuration has worked well
for me.

Good luck,
Tom