[DRBD-user] drbd on md file ext3 corruption

Eugene Crosser crosser at rol.ru
Tue Jul 11 13:56:16 CEST 2006

Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> / 2006-07-10 10:16:17 -0700
> \ Brent Jensen:
>> The filesystem was created correctly on the drbd0 device and
>> verified that this is the case. This is the same issue as shown in:
>> http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2005-October/003860.html
>
> If it was the same issue, it would have been fixed by using some
> kernel without the bio-clone bug.  We did not hear from Eugene
> about this since, and, iirc, he does thorough tests in a well
> established environment.

We've just quit using the hardware that demonstrated that behavior.

I was never able to pin down the problem to any specific element; I do
know that exactly same version combination of the kernel+drbd work fine
on some hardware and give in-memory filesystem corruption on other.

In particular, Dell 1U servers with Megaraid SCSI RAID controller never
gave me any trouble.

>> This allusive bug has never gone away (I've been experiencing
>> this for almost two years now). I would like to know how people
>> are dealing w/ this. It has recently become a real problem in my
>> production environment (almost every day). I created the
>> filesystem on both production setups on the DRBD device. They
>> might seem to fail (but not always) when heavily used (lots of
>> web activity or during backups).
>
> In each case I personally have seen fs-corruption occur like this,
> appart from that bio-clone bug, it finally could be tracked down
> to bad hardware.  bad cable, cable interferrence, instability in
> voltage (some people could reproduce fs-corruption by running
> 3D-benchmarks on their grafic card)...
>
> There may be problem deeper in the kernel, there are some threads
> about fs corruption with devmapper, you could try to find
> something relevant for your situation on e.g.
>  http://groups.google.com/group/fa.linux.kernel/

Eugene