[DRBD-user] meta-disk

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Sat Jan 7 14:09:53 CET 2006

Am Donnerstag, 5. Januar 2006 18:05 schrieb Chip Burke:
> ***Ugh, replied directly to Corey and not the list. Here is it is for the
> list.
>
> Hrm, back to the drawing board then. What is a typical situation then? For
> instance, if I make a change to httpd.conf on one machine in the cluster,
> is there a way for it to automatically update on the other machine so if it
> has to take over the configs are correct? I am certain I am missing
> something being a newbie at this. Is Heartbeat the answer for the above?
>
> So is a more typical situation:
>
> Use drbd to replicate /usr /home /var
>
> Then heartbeat does something to keep the /etc/ type things in sync? Sorry
> to be so dense here. I know the tools involved, just not exactly where each
> one comes into play. Again, the end goal is essentially to have a fail over
> box that automatically kicks in and operates exactly as its primary in case
> of the primary failure, Apache in this case and if that works  suppose I
> can apply this to most anything.

DRBD's purpose is to mirror partitons that are changing all the time, e.g.
the storage of a data base, the storage of a file server etc...

To replicate configuration files there is 'csync2', see
http://oss.linbit.com/csync2/ . Although csync2 can be used for much more
than replicating configuration files, but it is not very well suited for
dynamic changing data.

I have also seen people that symlink config files like http.conf to
the one filesystem that is mirrored by DRBD. That is also fine.

-Philipp