[DRBD-user] Questions about a tutorial and problems with a drbd/nfs/heartbeat config....

Pierre Ancelot pierre at bostoncybertech.com
Sat Jan 7 02:02:11 CET 2006

Hi everyone, i just followed a tutorial at
http://wiki.linux-ha.org/DRBD/NFS i have a few questions and a few
errors i'd like to have help/feedback about.

First, at the endof the document, i got the sensation the guy was in
hurry, he left like everything as it was, if you follow well the
tutorial, you'll see that the end changes a bit, example :

"
the filesystem, kill any running NFS daemons, start NFS services, pause
for a few seconds and take over the shared IP address. Here is a
sample /etc/heartbeat/haresources:
"

All the tutorial, the author tells if a command or something has to be
issued on one or both nodes, at this step and after, nothing.
then, he jumps right away to the client that's supposed to connect to
the NFS share. Okay... but what do i do ? i start nfs ? heartbeat ?

Also, at some point in the tutorial, we create /share/spool0/data and
mount /dev/drbd0 on it... this is not created on the other server, and
the author never tells how the other server will mount the partition
that's replicated if the primary server fails.

... I am totaly new to drbd, maybe i didn't get something. the fact is
i'm now lost, i tried to start heartbeat on the primary server and i get
this :

management:/etc/ha.d# /etc/init.d/heartbeat start
Starting High-Availability services:
2006/01/06_18:42:19 CRITICAL: Resource drbddisk::drbd-resource-0 is
active, and should not be!
2006/01/06_18:42:19 CRITICAL: Non-idle resources can affect data
integrity!
2006/01/06_18:42:19 info: If you don't know what this means, then get
help!
2006/01/06_18:42:19 info: Read the docs and/or source
to /usr/lib/heartbeat/ResourceManager for more details.
CRITICAL: Resource drbddisk::drbd-resource-0 is active, and should not
be!
CRITICAL: Non-idle resources can affect data integrity!
info: If you don't know what this means, then get help!
info: Read the docs and/or the source
to /usr/lib/heartbeat/ResourceManager for more details.
2006/01/06_18:42:19 CRITICAL: Non-idle resources will affect resource
takeback!
2006/01/06_18:42:19 CRITICAL: Non-idle resources may affect data
integrity!
mknod: wrong number of arguments
Try `mknod --help' for more information.
Done.

I suppose it's not "normal" and then, i start the replication node:

# /etc/init.d/heartbeat start
Starting High-Availability services:
mknod: wrong number of arguments
Try `mknod --help' for more information.
 Heartbeat failure [rc=6]. Failed.

heartbeat: 2006/01/06_17:44:02 info: Neither logfile nor logfacility
found.
heartbeat: 2006/01/06_17:44:02 info: Logging defaulting
to /var/log/ha-log
heartbeat: 2006/01/06_17:44:02 info: **************************
heartbeat: 2006/01/06_17:44:02 info: Configuration validated. Starting
heartbeat 1.2.3
heartbeat: 2006/01/06_17:44:02 ERROR: Bad nodename
in /etc/ha.d/haresources [nfs-kernel-server]
heartbeat: 2006/01/06_17:44:02 ERROR: Configuration error, heartbeat not
started.

Aparently a config error but at this point... i'll wait for your help on
the first problems to checkout this, which anyways maybe will be fixed
after some "cleanout"

Thanks for the help you could provide me. My intention is not to say the
tutorial is bad, it's not the case and has good idea but it needs to be
completed and corrected a bit unless all the crap i run throught is my
misunderstanding of drbd.

My goal is to have 2 servers sharing a filesystem over NFS with failover
in case the server dies or so...

Thanks a lot for ay help you could give me on this