[DRBD-user] drbd solution for distant sites ? (4MB line)

Chip Burke cburke at innova-partners.com
Thu Feb 23 19:02:37 CET 2006

I would do it like so....

1. Setup DRBD to sync locally and do your initial sync.
2. Stop the DRBD/heartbeat daemon on the secondary and make sure it is not
going to restart under an rc script when it boots the next time.
3. Stop DRBD/heartbeat on the primary and be sure it too is not loading
DRBD/heatbeaton boot up.
4. Ship the secondary to your remote location.
5. Update the drbd.conf and ha.cf to have the correct new IP information
(after testing you have a good connection of course) and pay close attention
to your timeouts as a little latency in a link may cause heartbeat or DRBD
to be flopping all over the place.
6. Startup drbd and heartbeat then test for failover using hb_standby or
whatever else you want to try.

Be sure you are using protocol C too. (Though, here is no real reason to
ever using anything but protocol C)

One question though, I assume your subnet spans the WAN? It will have to for
heartbeat to work. You can't have subnet 10.1.1.0 here and 10.2.2.0 there
and share an IP unless you get creative with the IPs you bind. Think about
this long and hard as you don't want to do through the trouble and find a
scheme doesn't work or requires 3 weeks of rework.
Chip Burke