[DRBD-user] The ServerForDLess message and what might cause the kernel to disable the RAID card?

Maurice Volaski mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu
Thu Feb 23 08:22:08 CET 2006

(Thanks for your answers to my recent queries.)

I'm working with a situation where the computer that is ordinarily
primary is acting weird.

This computer is an IBM Netfinity with a ServeRAID 4Lx card serving
all the hard drives. There are two RAID sets. Root is a RAID 1 pair
and the data are a RAID 5 pair. All the drbd volumes run directly on
the RAID 5 pair. (There is no LVM involved.)

Server comes up and drbd sees a full sync is needed. The sync appears
to run to completion and then the IRQ handling the ServeRAID is
disabled. No disk is accessible and the computer is essentially
crashed.

The currently acting primary says in /proc/drbd:

0: cs:ServerForDLess st:Primary/Secondary ld:Consistent

This doesn't make sense to me because this computer is the primary
and the secondary is the one that diskless. How can the primary ever
be a server for anything other than itself?

I have tried this with the crashing computer running 0.7.14 and
kernel 2.6.15 and again with 0.7.16 and kernel 2.6.16-rc4.

I have also swapped out the RAID card and moved it to a different PCI
slot. The computer has two other PCI cards, both Ethernet cards.
Onboard SCSI and Ethernet are BIOS-disabled.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might trigger the kernel to
disable the IRQ associated with the RAID card?

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu