[DRBD-user] CHS versus LBA

Casey Allen Shobe lists at seattleserver.com
Thu Feb 23 04:33:06 CET 2006

On Sunday 19 February 2006 00:07, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
> The hard disks are PATA disks in identical models in identical machines,
> and I created them exactly the same in fdisk - by using +4G as the size.
> Problem is, which I discovered after the fact, is that one machine shows
> the drive's partition table in CHS notation, and the other LBA, so for
> whatever reason, fdisk interpreted +4G differently on each.

Hey all.  Thanks for the replies so far.  I am pleased to announce that I
found a solution for my problem.

I did a bit of investigation, and found that I can go into fdisk's expert menu
(x), manually set the number of heads to 255 and the number of cylinders
accordingly (1245 in my case), return to the main menu (r), and make
partitions as expected.  I also discovered that on 2 identical 20gb seagate
drives, one was in CHS mode and the other LBA - the same fix worked there
too.  As long as there is a partition on an LBA-defined disk, all is well.

One caveat - if I delete all partitions on a disk, and reboot, fdisk sees the
drive in CHS mode again, so I must go into fdisk's expert menu to fix it.  I
do not know how to determine the number of cylinders except by looking at
another identical drive which is in LBA mode, but the manufacturer probably
publishes these, and there's likely some way to calculate LBA numbers using
the CHS numbers.

Obviously, you can't make these changes to a live system (at least I don't
think so), so don't try that.  However all of our disks are now consistant
and in LBA mode, so our issue is resolved.  4 new DRBD clusters of 2 machines
each going in this weekend!

--
Casey Allen Shobe | cshobe at seattleserver.com | 206-381-2800
SeattleServer.com, Inc. | http://www.seattleserver.com