[DRBD-user] drbd-0.7.15 crashed doing a full sync under 2.6.13

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Feb 20 10:28:50 CET 2006

/ 2006-02-19 14:20:54 -0500
\ Maurice Volaski:
> First posted to drbd mailing list on 2/6 with no reply. It hasn't
> happened since, but once is enough to mean something is wrong
> somewhere.....
>
> I did a resize of all the underlying LVMs and that proceeded very
> nicely since drbd automatically recognized the new sizes and
> resize2fs automatically figured out the new size, too.
>
> Anyway, bringing up the secondary automatically caused the primary to
> start a fully sync. The performance this time was very nice,
> averaging 50-55 MB per second across a total of 8 drbd resources, all
> syncing simultaneously. Each resource is an underlying logical volume
> and is assigned its own TCP port in drbd.conf. The primary has dual
> bonded gigabit in active load balancing mode and secondary is single
> gigabit.
>
> A total of 5600 GB has to be moved. I am estimating the resources
> were between 1/3 and 1/2 finished when the kernel panicked.
>
> The secondary, which is running the same kernel and drbd, did not
> panic. The drives in both systems are attached via LSI Logic SCSI
> cards and on the primary the driver is mptscsih; on the secondary it
> is sym53c8xx.
>
> Unfortunately, I never gotten an easy way to capture the text of a
> panic, and apparently attachments are excluded if the message exceeds
> 40K, so I typed out the whole thing:

well. if thats all, it is of not much help, because it is incomplete.

but you probably have not too much kernel/"low" memory left,
since the total of 5.6 TB drbd storage uses up about 160 MB in kernel
for the bitmap and other stuff. this is unusual in a way and may well
trigger a kernel problem.

you should use 64bit hardware anyways for these amounts of storage.