[DRBD-user] CHS versus LBA

paddy paddy at panici.net
Sun Feb 19 13:58:18 CET 2006

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 12:07:34AM +0000, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:

> The hard disks are PATA disks in identical models in identical machines,
> and I created them exactly the same

sorry I did't read this closely enough.  Were both the disks blank ? or had
perhaps at least one been partitioned before (and where do you get brand new
10G PATA disks these days ;)

So that's likely the answer to your puzzle: if your booting a linux system
and partitioning from there it will tend to detect any pre-existing geometry
and use that.

1. backup
2. wipe first block (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda(or whatever) count=1 bs=1b)
3. reboot
4. install

and if its all really identical, you should get identical results.

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall