[DRBD-user] Alternatives to NFS ?

Pierre Ancelot pierre at bostoncybertech.com
Fri Feb 17 19:44:29 CET 2006

After some tuning clients side, some test, i finaly tuned up my nfs
clients so now everything _seems_so_far_ to go well.
I used those options: soft,nfsvers=3,wsize=16384,rsize=1024
to notice, the soft option helped a _LOT_ aswell as moving to nfs3 and
chaging the write size to 16384. It's of course all depending your
configuration, i use something like: time dd to write and read to nfs
and get the time used. The amount of headers in the connection seems to
have a BIG impact over nfs which i didn't expect.

Thanks to all anyways, if i still get issues, i'll keep you posted and
eventually move to samba or why not, having both running to failover....
:P

Thanks :)
Pierre.

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 09:46 -0800, jeffb wrote:
> 'm using the standard samba and kernel that came installed with Ubuntu
> 5.10. When I searched around on the web to find out when this new
> ability had come around, it looked like it's been there for quite a
> while, I had just never noticed that groups/users etc had been happy.
>
> I think I read that almost all 2.6 kernels had cifs unix extensions.
>
> What I'm using:
> kernel-2.6.12-9 (ubuntu)
> samba-3.0.14a-6ubuntu1
>
> The other great part.. There really wasn't any configuration to do... I
> actually couldn't figure out how to turn it off if I wanted to.
>
> You probably want to look into that data corruption issue that someone
> was mentioning. I haven't really tested samba under an HA scenario. I'm
> not sure how any file sharing system can prevent file corruption under a
> drbd setup without seriously impacting performance. I've just always
> assumed we mostly strive to prevent filesystem corruption (except for
> the DB w/ transactions scenario).
>
> -Jeff
>
> On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 10:27 -0500, Todd Denniston wrote:
> > jeffb wrote:
> > > Well, Samba might not be as bad as you would think. I've used samba
> for
> > > years, and I got very used to some of it's older limitations, but
> with
> > > CIFS, and the unix extensions, I recently discovered that samba was
> > > running very much like NFS does.  File ownership and permissions all
> > > come across as they should (as long as the UID's and GID's on the
> > > systems match), and tools like chmod work just as they do for local
> > > drives.
> > >
> > > I wouldn't be afraid of giving samba/cifs with the unix extensions a
> > > serious try.
> > >
> > > -Jeff
> > >

> > Is there a HOWTO (or subsection thereof) you can point us to for
> setting up
> > these "unix extensions"?
> > And what version of Samba are you using to accomplish the use of them?
> >
> > Thanks.

Boston Cybertech
http://www.bostoncybertech.com
Boston Network and Computers consultants