[DRBD-user] mysql on drdb or mysql replication

David Van Duzer dvd at viawest.net
Fri Feb 10 02:36:53 CET 2006

If you already have a drbd volume set up, then it would certainly be
*easier* to just move the files to the other volume.  However database
replication in MySQL and other modern databases is very well developed,
and likely the better choice in this case.

I'm not a DB expert, but the chance of a disk failure in the middle of a
DB operation corrupting the data certainly exists.  If you are
replicating this data, there is presumably a higher chance of
replicating that corruption to your secondary drbd node.

Replication within the actual application should be more robust.  If
there is a failure during a write on the primary database, the secondary
database will simply not have received the write.  Assuming the
application is designed well, it will return a write failure, and the
secondary database will be in a perfectly usable state.

If everything that used storage had built in replication, there would
probably not be a need for drbd.

-dvd