[DRBD-user] Building load-balancing SAN upon DRBD v0.8 and probably GFS or Lustre.

Igor Yu. Zhbanov bsg at uniyar.ac.ru
Fri Dec 1 06:03:22 CET 2006

Hello!

Is it possible o build SAN with DRBD v0.8 and some (which one?) cluster file
system?

Suppose, we have two client nodes (which will access our SAN) and two storage
nodes. All nodes connectet by, suppose, gigabit ethernet. On storage nodes
we will run DRBD v0.8 in Primary/Primary mode, so we can access to our hard
drives on both nodes simultaneously to make load balancing (at least for
reading).

Next, I think, we need to set up some clustered file system upon our DRBD
devices pair. Probably it will be GFS or Lustre (What is the best? Also,
I don't know is it possible to setup Lustre in Primary/Primary configuration).

So, we can mount file system on both nodes. It's all ok. Both storage nodes
can mount file system and use it in parallel. But what about two our clients
nodes? Is it possible to mount GFS or Lustre or something else remoutely?
Or am I must to setup NFS (which nobody likes) on top of GFS?

Please, tell me your suggestions, is it possible to build load-balancing SAN
with parallel access to each storage nodes and multiple clients nodes?
(And is it possible without exporting shared block device to All nodes which
want to access to shared file system? I think, network file system trafic is
much lesser than network block device trafic.)

Thanks!