[DRBD-user] Re: Heartbeat.

Milind Dumbare milind at linsyssoft.com
Wed Aug 23 16:07:54 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 23:32 +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Milind Dumbare <milind at linsyssoft.com> writes:

> >> No.  You don't need heartbeat running at all for DBRD to work.
> >> What you do need heartbeat for is to make DRBD *useful*.
> >>
> >> Basically DRBD doesn't provide any high level fail-over support at all.
> >>
> >> So, unless you want to have to come in at 3AM and manually set up the
> >> second machine because the first one failed you need something like
> >> heartbeat for this to work.
> >>
> >> You can use any other solution, including one you write yourself, in
> >> place of heartbeat, though. :)
> >
> > So what all features wont be available without heartbeat?
>
> I am not quite sure what you mean.  DRBD will function exactly as
> advertised: it will sync data between the two systems, and allow access
> to it on either one node (0.7) or potentially many (0.8).
>
> > What I get from your statements is when my primary fails heartbeat
> > helps me to make my secondary to be primary until primary comes up, am
> > I right?
>
> Er, basically, yes.  Heartbeat and similar tools deal with all the other
> parts of a high availability system -- working out which peer, or peers
> are alive[1], assign resources, and so forth.
>
> If you want the cluster to actually *do* something when a machine fails,
> or whatever, then you need something more than DRBD.
>

> I don't think we are really answering your question here -- the one you
> are trying to ask, not the one you wrote down.
>
> Perhaps you should send another message to the list that tells us all
> *why* you want to know this.  Then we can help you achieve your goal
> rather than answering ... mostly irrelevant technical questions.

Ok, My question is I have heartbeat stopped at my system.

Now with DRBD(0.7.X), if my primary machine fails then my secondary
should be primary, right? Will this be affected by heartbeat not being
ran.

Basically what I have observed with Heartbeat on my system is when I
start heartbeat daemon on both nodes (panini, xenon), one of the
machines(panini) creates one more profile to my eth0 (eth0:0) with ip
address of other machine(xenon). So all my ssh connections to xenon get
disconnected, and this also causes WFconnection in DRBD.

Infact this question should be on linux-ha list but as it is with DRBD I
have posted it here also.

--
-Milind
"There is no place like 127.0.0.1"