[DRBD-user] Two vice-versa services on two nodes/machines

Ondrej Jombik nepto at platon.sk
Tue Aug 1 10:49:07 CEST 2006

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, Carson Gaspar wrote:

> --On Saturday, July 29, 2006 9:15 PM +0100 Luciano Miguel Ferreira
> Rocha <strange at nsk.no-ip.org> wrote:
>> You're distributing your load between two machines. That's a good
>> thing to do. An otherwise idle server will be put to good use instead
>> of just waiting for the other to fail.  I see no drawback, only
>> benefits, assuming that there's no convoluted dependency between
>> them.
> The main drawback is: what happens when one server fails? Can a single
> server handle the full load previously handled by 2 servers? You
> _must_ over-provision if you want services to stay fully functional in
> fail-over mode. If one server can't handle the load in active/standby,
> then it can't handle the load in active/failed. Now in many cases
> being up but slow is better than being down, but be _very_ sure you
> understand the risk decision you're making.

Yes, I understand what we are trying to do and I understand these risks
and drawbacks as well.

We would be more happy to give two (or more) machines to one service
(say HTTP with Apache), both fully functional with read *and* write
possibilities and load ballance between them.

But AFAIK this is not possible with any currently available Linux
open-source software, nor with DRBD.

Any suggestions are welcome.

--
   /\   Ondrej Jombik - nepto at platon.sk - http://nepto.sk - ICQ #122428216