[DRBD-user] First sync transfer size

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Thu Apr 27 14:44:28 CEST 2006

Ard van Breemen wrote:
> Hi,
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 09:36:04AM +0200, JMWorld - Dpto. T?cnico wrote:
>
>>Im testing drbd before using it and I see (at /proc) that after creating
>>partitions, and starting systems, it begins to synchronize, but partitions
>>are about 60GB and we have to pay for every GB transmitted on the final
>>systems.
>>Since partitions are inittially empty, is there any way to mark volumes as
>>synchronized in order to avoid transmitting such null and huge information
>>or even shorten the size transfering only main parts or meta-data?
>

> Sorry for this nasty suggestion, but it even helped me getting
> plain mysql replication down to 10% of the original traffic
> (which was needed because of a 410kb/s VPN): use vtun with a tcp
> tunnel with zlib compression factor 9 or so. You can even do VoIP
> over that and not notice it.
> Allright, it is not the answer that you seek, but if you pay per
> gig, compress it. It will probably save that much money within a
> year that you can buy faster processors to begin with (to support
> the extra load of compression), or more memory (so things do not
> get flushed that often, which in the end also saves you gigs).

Sounds like an interesting solution, thanks for the info.

An additional thing would be to do the initial sync while the machines are
within ~3 meters of each other with a crossover cable, and then put one at the
remote data center. Once they (drbd 0.[78].x) have done the initial sync, they
should only transfer the data that has changed, unless something catastrophic
happens or _you_ tell one to invalidate itself.

--
Todd Denniston