[DRBD-user] Problem with drbd v8 - cannot create new device

Michael Paesold mpaesold at gmx.at
Fri Apr 7 09:38:51 CEST 2006

Philipp Reisner wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 6. April 2006 17:18 schrieb Michael Paesold:
> > I want to run drbd trunk r2131 on 2.6.16.1 (with Xen 3). The problem is
> > that I cannot create/attach a new drbd device. The same error has been
> > reported before:
> > http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2005-May/002951.html
> > http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2005-May/002956.html
> >
> > NB: the lower-level device is a lvm device (was easier to setup for
> > testing
> > because I already had a disc configured and used as volume group).
>
> Very strange. Just a wild guess. Something with the buffer flushing
> does not work in xen.
>
> Try the following
>
> 1) crate the metadata
> 1a) dump it to some file
> 2) reboot the virtual machine
> 3) try to attach
> 3a) dump it to some file

Will do. With "dump", do you want me to just use "drbdadm dump-md"? Or
really dump the low level data to a file for analysis/comparision?

> NB external or internal meta data ?

External. Btw the full "drbd dump" was attached to the original mail,
together with an strace of the drbdsetup call (if that could help). It
doesn't show much except that the ioctl to setup the drbd device fails.

Relevant section of drbd.conf (drbd5 is the only resource right now):
        device     /dev/drbd5;
        disk       /dev/vmg/vmA5;
        address    192.168.1.205:7795;
        meta-disk  /dev/vmg/drbdmeta[5];

I will test with internal meta data. Or with an index of [0].

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold