[DRBD-user] Re: Simple documentation

Ugo Bellavance ugob at camo-route.com
Thu Apr 6 23:48:24 CEST 2006

Andreas J. Koenig wrote:

>   > Hi,
>   > 	I just created a simple tutorial explaining how to setup and
>   > test drbd on 2 nodes, with one ressource, and how to add resources.
>   > I'd like to have your comments or correction.  I'd also like to know
>   > if it would be nice to have this doc somewhere in the wiki or
>   > something, I don't mind sharing with everyone.
>
>   > http://www.lubik.ca/ha/drbd.pdf
>
> Very nice. The PDF format is a bit distracting, this should be a
> straight format to make it easier accessible. On the other hand it
> would be nice to keep it extendable for multiple platforms.

As I said, I could publish on some wiki if necessary/wanted.  The
orignal copy is in my wiki, which is not publicly acessible.

> This is a bit ridiculous:
>
>     echo `date` > /ha/httpd/yes
>
> Make that
>
>     date > /ha/httpd/date.txt

True.  Outputting to a file called 'yes' is my brain's default.  Some
kind of foo -> bar. I'll change that.

> or some such.
>
> I'm missing an explanation why you want to create a second resource
> and not put both services on one.

Never asked myself the question, in fact :).  Honestly, this whole thing
is to help people discover how drbd works.  I never thought I could
mount my drbd device on /ha and have /ha/httpd/ and /ha/mysql/.  From
what I read in the docs, this would be necessary if I would like to do
active-active failover, with different resources on each host.

But you're right, I should cut the part about the 2nd resource and put
in another doc.

I'm now working on the "add heartbeat to the mix" part.  Will let you
know when I'm done.

Regards,

Ugo