[DRBD-user] Sensible maximum number of drbd devices

Gary W. Smith gary at primeexalia.com
Wed Apr 5 21:32:56 CEST 2006

One of the client sites that we setup we configured a matched set of
VMWare servers.  They had a need for a clustered Exchange server and a
clustered SQL server.  They also had a limited budget for what they
wanted.  Here is what we did.

We setup VMWare on the two servers and created 3 virtual servers each.
Node one was the linux-HA running DRBD and iscsi-target.  Node two was
Exchange and node three was the SQL server.  Duplicated this on second
environment.

It works like a champ.  Cost ~$5k for the two name brand servers, dual
Xeons, 4gb ram and 250gb raid drives...

So yes, it can be done on the same box and it can work great.  I would
recommend that you have the iscsi server running on the node that's not
running everything else (otherwise disk performance becomes your issue).