[DRBD-user] Sensible maximum number of drbd devices

Michael Paesold mpaesold at gmx.at
Wed Apr 5 21:29:16 CEST 2006

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> Another option to consider is iSCSI. It would at least allow you to
> decouple drbd and xen.

That's an option I thought about, too. Would you use iSCSI on a dedicated
server? Or can iSCSI server and client be on the same host? Otherwise that
would add much higher infrastructure costs. We are trying to build really
low cost clusters (from a hardware perspective at least).

Unfortunately, iSCSI introduces even another overhead -- SCSI is not really
a light-weight protocol. Another option would be gnbd, but that requires a
dedicated "SAN" server cluster, again.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold