[DRBD-user] filesystem corruptions

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Fri Sep 30 16:34:34 CEST 2005

bro wrote:

<SNIP>
> we'll ive spent all night building a new system with same configuration.
> and yes, ive run fsck after upgrading kernel, it said that everything is
> in perfect condition.
> so for now i have :
> Linux serv1 2.6.13.2 #1 SMP
> DRBD 0.7.13
>
> and STILL i have those damn errors, just now(bout 10mins ago) primary
> node crashed with kernel panic, last on screen there was:
>
> ata3: status0xa0 { Busy }
> SCSI error: <2 0 0 0> return code = 0x800082
> sdc: Current: sense key: Aborted Command
>       Additional sense: SCSI parity error
> end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 325582919
> drbd1: IO error on backing device!
> kernel panic - not syncing: drbd1: IO error on backing device!
>
> now this is getting realy annoying, any ideas what could i do about this
> problem?

as Brandon indicated DRBD is doing the correct thing by panicking, when the
scsi device goes nuts.

This looks very much like a hardware problem.  Assuming no hardware has
intentionally changed on the scsi bus I would [no warranties on my
procedures]
1) disconnect and reconnect each connection in the scsi bus (too often I
have seen corrosion muck up a scsi bus) , including the terminator(s) if
they are not built into the device logically.

2) verify the last device on the buss is either a proper terminator (that is
working) or the last device has internal termination turned on.

seeing the 'ata3:' above the scsi error makes me want to think you have SATA
hardware, which IIRC current linux is presenting as scsi devices.

3) in either case, backup any data and run badblocks in full write mode and
Brandon's suggestions on the physical device.

--
Todd Denniston