[DRBD-user] Kernel Panic

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Wed Sep 28 14:49:05 CEST 2005

> grep in the kernel log about hard io failure on the lower
> level devices.
> I guess there is some part of one of your disks is no longer readable.

I've found smartmontools to be extremely useful for proactively
monitoring hard disk health.  It's included in RHEL 4 and Fedora Core 2
and above.   You can configure the daemon to do scheduled SMART checks,
email you when a drive starts throwing errors, and perform read-only
tests on drives without downtime.  The only problem I know about is that
it doesn't work with SATA drives under the libata driver due to lack of
support for the needed ATA-passthrough ioctl() calls.

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer III
CCAC - College Office