[DRBD-user] CVS repository replication with DRBD

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Sep 22 19:31:49 CEST 2005

/ 2005-09-22 12:20:07 -0500
\ Todd Denniston:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am using DRBD on SLES9 to replicate the CVSNT repository . It is working
> > fine , but i have some questions on DRBD .
> >
> > -- Although i am using DRBD , i want to take the daily backup of  data to a
> > tape drive . I want to take the backup from the secondary DRBD machine only
> > (every day) . Is this is possible ?   . I know that , we can't mount the
> > secondary machine's DRBD partition onto the filesystem . I am not interested
> > to Chane the secondary to primary on every day for backup purpose .
> >

> This has been discussed many times on the list, you should only try to back
> up from the machine that is in drbd primary state.

what you can do, though, is: have drbd on top of lvm2,
then snapshot the drbd lv (on either node, does not matter whether
primary or secondary), mount the snapshot, and backup from there.
 the snapshot needs to be a writable snapshot.
 the mount should be read-only, still.
 the cvs repository might be in some inconsistent state anyways,
so you should find some technique to lock out commits while creating
the snapshot.

> > Please anyone answer to my questions . Thank you.
>
> Sorry, I have not yet gotten permission to release the cvs_ha script I
> wrote.

that is just stupid.

> Crane Division, Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC Crane)

but you probably can not do anything about it :-/