[DRBD-user] Manual sync.

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Sep 14 11:24:16 CEST 2005

/ 2005-09-13 15:51:53 -0500
\ Roy Keene:
> All,
>
>  	Assuming I use "meta-data: internal" for both systems and both systems are of the same CPU arch, can I start
> with an initial state of synchronized if I manually mirror the backing device for my two DRBD mirror components ?
>
> For example, if I have machine-1 and machine-2 and they each have /dev/sde1 as their backing device (and using
> meta-data: internal), can I just do:
>
> root at machine-2# nc -l -p 5001 > /dev/sde1 < /dev/null
> root at machine-1# dd if=/dev/sde1 | nc machine-2 5001 < /dev/null
>
> and have DRBD operate correctly when started on both machines ?

sure.  but probably drbd sync is even faster.
maybe you rather want to  dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M of=/dev/sde1
on both boxes, may be yet an other percentage faster :)

you have to do some manual tricks with the generation counters, though.
easiest way would be to dd | nc those, too (while drbd is down,
not even attached, best: module unloaded, just to be sure)