[DRBD-user] Help with recovering from network failure (failover and back again)

Guus Houtzager guus at houtzager.net
Tue Sep 13 22:36:08 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 11:28 +0200, Lars Ellenberg wrote:

<snip>

> well, recovery from a split brain is counter intuitive at times.
>
> it is not "you expect", but "you want to".
> because you know more than drbd does.

That's correct. I'm trying to discover with stuff like heartbeat which
half of my setup has become an "island" (ie no connectivity) network
wise. So I need to tell/force drbd what to do from external control,
because that knows the situation better than drbd does.

<snip>

> from the point of view of fs1, fs2 (the secondary) died,
> and fs1 stayed primary for a while.
> so, when fs2 comes back, fs1 expects it to be out of date,
> and wants to sync fs1 -> fs2.
>
> to avoid this, you could have used the --human flag
> to the primary command on fs2.

I hadn't tried that! It's not possible to use the --human flag with the
drbdadm tool if I read the man page correct?

> drbd 0.8 will drop the whole generation counter thing,
> and go uuid, which makes it possible upon connect to
> reliably detect previous split brain situations,
> regardless of sequence of events on the nodes during
> split brain...  and, in effect, cry out loud.

Very cool :)

Thanks for your time and effort!

Regards,

Guus Houtzager                           Email: guus at houtzager.net
PGP fingerprint = 5E E6 96 35 F0 64 34 14  CC 03 2B 36 71 FB 4B 5D
Early to rise, early to bed, makes a man healthy, wealthy and dead.
        --Rincewind, The Light Fantastic