[DRBD-user] DRBD and PostgreSQL - high load performance?

Barry Price barry at e-rm.co.uk
Mon Sep 12 17:09:22 CEST 2005

Hi,

We're looking at DRBD as a way to get a live-backup going on our database
server.  It's an 8cpu SCSI-fired RAID1+0 monster with 16Gb RAM, and it's usually
very, very busy.

The database server is PostgreSQL 8, and consists of over 10,000 tables with up
to 2,000 connections, processing several hundred queries per second.  DRBD looks
like exactly what we need, but the testimonials I've seen have all been on
rather smaller systems.

Has anyone stress-tested DRBD on this level of system?  I'm concerned that even
over gigabit, it simply won't be able to keep up with the speed of writes that
we get over the SCSI controllers.  What happens when a backlog occurs?  Does the
secondary machine simply queue the changes, or can it lock up?  Are there any
other issues we should be concerned about?

Thanks,

Barry Price