[DRBD-user] Re: Kernel 2.6.13 is hiding devices from /dev [Was Why is the kernel hiding drbd devices?}

Maurice Volaski mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu
Wed Sep 7 06:45:16 CEST 2005

>What is drbd?  An out of tree driver?  Did it work with 2.6.13-rcX?  If

Yes, it implements RAID 1 across two computers over a network link in
realtime. Generally, you combine with a program called heartbeat to
implement high-availabilty failover. It's very neat ;-)

>not, why didn't they tell us sooner?  Does it expect devfs to be present
>in the kernel by any chance?

It's actually working now. Don't ask me to explain it because last
night and most of Monday I couldn't get it working and I must have
compiled half a dozen different Gentoo kernel versions of 2.6.12, and
it worked with some but not others. It worked perfectly with the
official 2.6.12 but not with official 2.6.13. Then suddenly it just
started to work again on all the Gentoo 2.6.12s it wouldn't work with
and also with the official 2.6.13. I have 2.6.13 running right now,
and drbd devices show up in /dev as if there never had been any
problem.

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu