[DRBD-user] /home on /dev/drbd0

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Sep 6 13:43:33 CEST 2005

/ 2005-09-03 11:04:50 +0200
\ Stephan Rattai:

>> I'd like to move the content of /home to /dev/drbd0 and mount /dev/drbd0
>> as /home. I've some related questions for system boot/shutdown:
>
> I used to have /home on a drbd device.
>
>> 1) Where should I place the "drbdadm primary all" command sequence? The
>> systems always starts in secondary/secondary state, I guess this
>> behavior is a feature and intended ?!?
>
> There is a resource-script (drbddisk) for heartbeat which does that. You
> may want to take a look at hearbeat if you don't already have it.
>
>> 2) Where/when in the system boot procedure (Gentoo/FC4) is a good time to
>> mount /dev/drbd devices?
>
> The mount is clearly a job for the hearbeat Filsystem script.

the point is, if you have "identical" nodes, how would you decide during
bootup which node should do the "primary and mount"?
if you hardcode one as your "primary" system, and you happen to have a
failure and failover, and the supposed to be primary system then comes
back... how do you want to handle this during system boot?

so yes, you really want to use heartbeat for this.

>> 3) Where and how to integrate such a mountpoint in regular bootup fsck.ext3?
>
> I don't remember the Filesystem-script fsck's before the mount, but you may
> want to fsck before each mount as the filesystem might be in an inconsistent
> state after a crash.

not neccessary if using journaled file systems.