[DRBD-user] /dev/drbd0, bootup and fstab questions

Gernot W. Schmied gernot.schmied at chello.at
Tue Sep 6 09:33:37 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'd like to migrate my entire /home directory to the /dev/drbd0 device
on my primary node. I'd very much appreciate advice regarding the
bootup, mounting, fsck, unmounting and shutdown order and procedure.

What I have so far (fully functional drbd cluster without heartbeat, I
don't need it):

bootup (network runnlevel):
	load module
	start drbd via init script
	declare primary via script
	manually mount /dev/drbd0 on primary node
shutdown:
	unmount /dev/drbd0
	stop drbd via init script

Everything works like a charm.

Question:

How can I integrate the /dev/drbd0 --> /home mount-point in the standard
Redhat FC4/Gentoo bootup routine? Since I am booting into a X11
runnlevel (gdm) I do require the /home mountpoint to be available at
that time, should I add an fstab entry or proceed otherwise? Same
question applies for shutdown. I'd really like to safely automate the
fsck.ext3 routine as well and do not want to ruin my filesystem during
shutdown.

Thanks a lot,
Gernot