[DRBD-user] DRBD, Informix and raw devices

Clive Eisen clive at serendipita.com
Mon Oct 31 16:17:18 CET 2005

Christof Amelunxen wrote:

>Hi,
>
>we plan to use DRBD and heartbeat to cluster an Informix DB and we would
>like to use raw devices to store the data on.
>
>Has anybody ever tried using Linux raw devices on top of DRBD or could
>one of the technical experts around tell me if this is possible at all?

I have done it as a demo, not in production.

It works fine with raw and heartbeat although depending on your distro
you may have to hack the 'raw' script to actually work

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/novell.support.suse.linux.professional/browse_thread/thread/62b8da97916987dd/b11209c7c384fa9e?lnk=st&q=%22clive+eisen%22+raw&rnum=4&hl=en#b11209c7c384fa9e

Later informix versions open the chunks as 'raw' without you having to
go through these hoops, and will also use KAIO if possible

--
Clive