[DRBD-user] DRBD+Iscsi

Diego Julian Remolina diego.remolina at ibb.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 25 22:37:04 CEST 2005

Mark,

iSCSI simply makes your external device appear to the OS as a SCSI
device (/dev/sdX), even though it is actually connected through a
network connection.  You need whatever the driver for you iSCSI device
to be supported on the flavor of linux that you will run.

You will then install drbd on each of the servers and then in drbd.conf,
you will use the /dev/sdX device names corresponding to your iSCSI
devices on each server.

That should be all you need to do.  I have not done this myself, so do
not know if there are any complications or performance hits (other than
you can only communicate to each iSCSI device at about 120MB/s which is
the gigabit bandwitch limit).

You should probably be better off putting the external metadata locally
on one of the server internal drives.  Remember to only create a file
system on the drbd device /dev/drbd0, rather than on the iSCSI devices
/dev/sdX

It would probably be highly advisable to use a cross-over cable and a
dedicated gigabit card to connect your external array to each server,
use a second card for drbd and yet a third network card to connect to
the network and all the client machines. If that is not possible, then
at least 2 cards, one for the network, then one for drbd is a must.

HTH,

Diego