[DRBD-user] Lower device is already mounted???

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Oct 17 11:59:36 CEST 2005

/ 2005-10-16 23:46:29 -0700
\ Brent Jensen:
> I upgraded a working DRBD system (0.7.11)  from Centos 4.1 (2.6.9-11.EL) to 4.2 (2.6.9-22.EL) and rebuilt DRBD
> without any problems. However, when I start DRBD I get the following:
>
> Starting DRBD resources:    [ d0 ioctl(,SET_DISK_CONFIG,) failed: Invalid argument
> Lower device is already mounted.
>
> cmd /sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/hde1 internal -1 --on-io-error=detach  failed!
>
> *****
> The lower device (/dev/hde1) is not mounted and is a single drive.  The master is running 0.7.11 on Centos 4.1.
> The rebuilt slave is running 0.7.13.  I'm not sure where to go from here.  Is this data corruption, bad build?
> I built a test drbd system running a similar configuration and all worked as expected.  The master was running
> fedora w/ 0.7.11 and the rebuilt slave on the test configuration was running Centos 4.2 (drbd 0.7.13).

make sure you use the corresponding user space tools,
not only upgrade the module (just in case).

> # cat /proc/drbd
> version: 0.7.13 (api:77/proto:74)
> SVN Revision: 1942 build by root@<server name>, 2005-10-16 20:59:09
>  0: cs:Unconfigured
>
> # drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/hde1 internal -1 --on-io-error=detach
> ioctl(,SET_DISK_CONFIG,) failed: Invalid argument
> Lower device is already mounted.

the "more correct" error message would be
"is already mounted or otherwise claimed".

and if it says so, chances are that this is in fact the case.

claiming other than by mount could be done by some lvm,
or raw, or direct dm mapping.