[DRBD-user] File corruption

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Oct 17 11:53:57 CEST 2005

/ 2005-10-14 17:56:58 +0530
\ Amod Sutavane:
> Hi All ,
>
>        I am using DRBD+HA for last 2 months and configured for Mail Server. I
> have configured DRBD with meta-disk internal. This was running fine till last
> week. But from then randomly some files are getting corrupted/damaged. I need
> to re-create the files by removing to make it work. I am getting errors like
> "EXT3-fs error (device drbd(147,0)): read_block_bitmap: Cannot read block
> bitmap". My HDD space is 80GB and i am the partition that i am using to sync is
> of 71GB. I know that DRBD has 128MB reserve for meta-data and this could be one
> of the reasons of above problem. What will be the implication if i shrink the
> exsting file system now( i am having 40GB of data)?? or any other solution to
> optimize the DRBD??

as indicated by others, your problem might have different causes.

however, if you suspect you did somthing stupid some time ago, i.e.
you forgot to shrink the filesystem before placing drbd on top of the
underlying partition:
it should not hurt to verify this.

# tune2fs -l /dev/drbd0
multiply the entries "Block count:" and "Block size:", divide by 1024.

# grep drbd0 /proc/partitions
the third column should show the same (or a larger) figure.

if the number from /proc/partitions is smaller, however,
you should remount read-only, (try to) make a full backup,
shrink the fs (umount /dev/drbd0; resize2fs /dev/drbd0; mount /dev/drbd0).
it should feel better then...